Friday, April 12, 2013

Hamburger Helping Mixes


Hamburger Helping Mix (In a Jar)




"Replace those boxes with a homemade version. I have only tried the stroganoff so far, but the kids absolutely loved this (even more than the boxed stuff!)."

Ingredients

  • 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup beef bouillon powder
  • 2 tablespoons onion flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder

    CHILI MAC

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup macaroni noodles, raw
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 cup hamburger, helping mix

    STROGANOFF

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup hamburger, helping mix
  • 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

    POTATO BEEF CASSEROLE

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
    1/2 cup hamburger, helping mix
      • QUICK LASAGNA

      • 1 lb ground beef
      • 1/2 cup hamburger, helping mix
      • 1 onion, chopped
      • 2 cups water
      • 1 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
      • 3 cups lasagna noodles, uncooked, broken in bits
      • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
      • 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded



  1. Directions




    Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.

  2. Attach the recipes to the jar:
    .
  3. CHILI MAC:.
  4. Brown ground beef and drain.
  5. Add remaining ingredients.
  6. Combine well and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.

  7. STROGANOFF:.
  8. Brown ground beef and drain.
  9. Add water, mix, and uncooked egg noodles.
  10. Simmer 20 minutes or until noodles are tender.
  11. Stir in sour cream and serve.

  12. POTATO BEEF CASSEROLE:.
  13. Brown ground beef and drain.
  14. Add rest of ingredients.
  15. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  16. Remove cover and cook until excess water has evaporated.

  17. QUICK LASAGNA:.
  18. Brown ground beef and drain.
  19. Add mix, onion, water, tomato sauce, lasagna noodles and parmesan cheese in large skillet.
  20. Bring to a boil.
  21. Reduce heat to simmer.
  1. Simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are cooked.
  2. Top with mozzarella cheese.
  3. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.

31 comments:

  1. Love this! I am trying to stop buying processed convenience mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean by hamburger helping mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first recipe is the hamburger helper mix. The following recipes use a portion of it.

      Delete
    2. in store you buy a box which contains dry mix and noodles and you add hamburger..This is recipe for dry mix..better, no preservatives.

      Delete
  3. Do you have any suggestions on a substitute for the dry milk, for a milk allergy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can sub it for a powdered goats milk. I haven't tried it yet (though I have the powdered goats milk), since my stomach isn't bothered by powdered milk.

      Delete
  4. I am so excited to try these recipes, they all sound amazing. We used to eat a TON of the boxed versions but have cut back since they are sooo expensive now and the ones that are cheaper are smaller sized boxes. I have two "real" boxes left and then will be switching to this for sure. Thanks for a great alternative to a family favorite that I can now make myself and cross off my prepackaged shopping list!

    @Jennifer - Hamburger Helping Mix is her term for her homemade version of boxed "Hamburger Helper" meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to have found these recipes. Being a single parent creates the need to shop wisely. In addition we have had to start making a lot of our own meals from scratch due to the need of reducing sodium which is extremely high in all processed foods. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to use this for storage in Edmonton you never know what could happen! I really like this blog thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cheesy taco one is a taco seasoning, hamburger and mac and cheese. That's the basics, sorry, I'm just starting the homemade thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this! I've been helping my wife look for ways to do storage in Edmonton, and this gave me some great insight! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you add regular shredded cheese instead of the powdered mac n cheese type? My hubby won't eat powdered cheese sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once put in a mason jar and sealed what would you expect the shelf life to be? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the this recipe. I like to make the mix and just keep it in a jar to use. do you have a quick "go to" ratio of mix to water? In these recipes it is dependent on the noodles, but I would like to make it as a sauce to add to cooked noodles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So the first 9 ingredients are the "base"? So you would put 1/2cup of mix in a jar with the measured macaroni to give it as a gift? What size jar? Am I correct in thinking that you give them the kit ( the mix and macaroni in a jar) along with the directions on what to add and etc? Sorry if I am a little slow to get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not slow, I was confused with this also. I wasn't sure how much went into each jar, because measurements were not given for each jar.

      Delete
  13. While the font is beautiful to look at I find it very hard to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried the Chili Mac recipe tonight for my family. It was delicious. I made as is except added 1 cup macaroni. Thank you for these recipes. Do you have any helping mixes for chicken or ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you sure the chili mac is only 1/2 cup of noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  16. On the Potato Stroganoff Recipe could You use dehydrated Potato's instead of fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. I want to adapt these with all freeze dried versions including meat. I already have most of these on hand. Getting my creative mind in gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also am adapting these to a freeze dried version to have for camping, quick meals, emergencies, etc. I already have the ingredients in #10 cans, just needed to get the jars and my oxygen absorbers together. After I do the necessary exchanges, then I will adjust my water and make a test batch to see how it turns out. Any tweaks can then be made before you finish mixing up a bunch of jars.

      Delete
  18. Try ground chicken or ground turkey for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, for sharing this, I've been telling my husband we need to stop buying the boxed meals!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all these. Needing to be gluten free I am able to switch the pastas out for gluten free and the powder mix is already gluten free. I use it in EVERYTHING thicken up home made soups add a little somethin somethin to jazzy up whatever I am making this is a family go to

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing. I can now tell this to my wife and ask to make a portable storage edmonton for food whenever we're on camp.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found this site and wondering if it is still going. I have an easy casserole that I have been using for at least 30 years - would be good in a jar! It is simply macaroni, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and browned ground beef. Of course, over the years I added to this dish by adding chopped green chili's, topped it with shredded jack cheese and sour cream. It is very versatile AND you can make as much or as little as needed for your family. I made this sometimes when people dropped by around dinner time. Just cooked more macaroni and added more tomato and toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They create a quick and tasty one-pot meal. 6800k Vs 6700k These mixes offer a time-saving solution for busy households looking for a satisfying dinner option.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How long will these keep in a jar do you need to water bath them or pressure cook them

    ReplyDelete